Today is the day, Overwatch officially turns 1 year old (well, technically tomorrow), but since Blizzard uses Tuesdays to do their updates and launches, it’s today.
The anniversary event, which includes new maps, skins, sprays and more (100 new cosmetic items) is officially live, so if you go to your console/PC of choice, you can begin to download all the goodness that is Overwatch and get started.
So while most of the event has been shrouded in mystery, we now know what is available to players, including the three new arena maps, each with their own new name, but still based in bigger maps. First up is Necopolis, which is the arena map for Temple of Anubis. Next is Castillo, which is based in Dorado and looks to be some sort of old fort near Dorado’s bay. Finally, we have Black Forest, a night time themed board set in Eichenwalde. Keep in mind, these boards are smaller boards meant to be used for 3 vs 3 and 1 vs 1. So they action will be fast and frantic.
Blizzard also teased a new “Game of the Year” addition of Overwatch, but failed to give a price… until today. While the game will continue to retail for $59.99, after the anniversary event, the special event pricing is just $40, but it also comes with 10 loot boxes, which is just 1 loot box shy of their $9.99 asking price for in-app purchasing. So, you’re sort of getting the game for $30 with a $10 purchase of 10 loot boxes, which with all the new skins, is not a bad deal.
The Game of the Year edition isn’t really different than the current (or old) Origins edition they both contain the same content, skins and extras, with the exception of the 10 loot boxes and $40 price of the GOTY edition, the origins edition has been marked down to $30, for the event as well. Here’s a full breakdown of what’s included, in case some of you haven’t purchased Overwatch and are on the fence.
- Overwatch: Enjoy 10 Standard Loot Boxes, each containing a collection of random items that can be used to customize your favorite heroes. Loot Boxes may include skins, emotes, victory poses, voice lines, sprays, and highlight intros, as well as credits you can use to unlock a variety of different customization options.
- Overwatch: Origins Skins — Pay homage to the original Overwatch strike force with vintage skins of Blackwatch Reyes for Reaper and Strike-Commander Morrison for Soldier: 76. Explore other heroes’ origins with Overgrown Bastion, Security Chief Pharah, and Slipstream Tracer.
- Diablo 3: Mercy’s Wings — Slay demonic forces throughout the High Heavens and Burning Hells while donning Mercy’s wings, and all of Sanctuary will know of your allegiance to Overwatch!
- StarCraft 2: Player Portraits — These picture-perfect portraits of Tracer, Reaper, Pharah, Winston, Bastion, and Soldier: 76 give new meaning to the phrase “Hero of the Koprulu Sector.”
- Hearthstone: Overwatch Card Back — If you happen to find yourself in a Tavern Brawl, show your opponent you’ve got backup with an Overwatch-themed card back.
- World of Warcraft: Baby Winston Pet — Adorably cuddly and highly intellectual, the Baby Winston pet will be at your side as you fight to extinguish the Burning Legion.
- Heroes of the Storm: Tracer Hero — The cavalry’s here! Jump into the Nexus with Tracer and surprise your enemies in the blink of an eye.
What are you waiting for, check out the video above again to see those awesome skins, Genji is just on fire!! Man o’ man I need to leave work early!!